Monday, February 4, 2013

Warm Bodies Review

R is just a regular guy looking for his way in life, wondering where his life went and wonders if he will ever get used to eating brains....that's right R is a zombie. Warm Bodies tells the tale of when zombie boy R meets zombie killing girl Julie and how just one spark from love can warm a cold dead heart.

I have to admit that when I first saw the trailer for this film I thought it was parody of a zombie movie, much like those hideous Wayan brothers Scary Movie monstrosities. But, then after seeing several other ads and trailers I realized that this was a serious zombie movie. So, the premise of this movie is a zombie falls in love with a girl who unzombies him with her love. Yeah as a huge horror and massive zombie fan I am not buy it. Now don't get me wrong I am not a zombie puriest I can handle a running zombie without losing my mind, but a zombie falling in love is a bit of a stretch.

I already know what you are saying....give it a chance and I will have you know that I did go into the movie with an open mind, but sadly I found myself engulfed in my years of zombie knowledge of what zombies can and can't do. I spent the first half an hour of the film checking off all the zombie rules they were horribly breaking! He doesn't walk like a zombie, he doesn't move like a zombie, he has way to many motor skills for being part of the undead and his thought process would not work like that. I found myself struggling with how long has he been infected because he was barely decomposed. The infection was in its 8th year which looking at him he couldn't possibly have lasted like that for 8 years! Calculating his infection, with his zombie turn time, with his decomp stage and where he should be in this zombie scenario.....and nothing added up!

So, I took a deep breath and I told myself this is a different kind of zombie movie so in order to really watch it you are going to have to throw out all the zombie rules you have learned over the years. Start viewing this movie as the first zombie movie you have seen and you don't know all the rules and the outcomes that should or should not be happening and to be honest when I finally decided to do that I have to say I really did enjoy the movie. It was fast past and kept on point. The interaction between R and Julie was cute and awkward, but it was still relate able even if he was a zombie. The overall feel of the movie was a light hearted zombie movie without all the darkness that goes along with traditional zombie movies. This is the kind of movie that actually has a little something for everyone its not to horror to turn off non horror fans, but it has enough horror in it to keep us interested. The romance is there but it doesn't overwhelm the story to the point of it becoming like a Lifetime movie. I say for the zombie puriest out there leave your zombie rules at the door and you will enjoy a fun, cute, horror movie that will warm your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment